[Developed by] Mariano Merchante
Instance Along Curve is a Maya API Python plugin which simplifies the process of instancing various objects along a curve and is free to download.
The plugin essentially creates a new dependency graph node called instanceAlongCurveLocator, which handles all the necessary logic. It also includes a node creation command and an Attribute Editor template for a very familiar and user friendly interface.
Instance Along Curve plugin features include:
- It’s a dependency graph node, so it works gracefully with the Maya environment.
- Instance an object by count or by distance between instances.
- Various rotation modes, including chain mode.
- Curve distance offset, useful for tank treads.
- Customize the instances transformation by ramps evaluated in curve parameter space.
- Customize the ramps’ offset with keys or expressions for animations.
- Customize how instances look in viewport.
- Randomize instances transformations.
- User friendly, highly flexible.