Populate:Terrain is a scripted plugin for Autodesk 3ds Max that assists in creating and optimizing terrain surfaces from contour lines or from existing meshes.
The quad based output allows for easier later remodeling, for example using push/pull painting. The regular face size reduces Rendering issues (GI, Displacement) and you can use Turbosmooth on it. It’s also a lot nicer to look at!
The result is always standard 3ds Max geometry, so there are no issues with future 3ds Max versions, exchanging scene files or using 3rd party renderers.
- Easy terrain surface generation from a contour lines.
- Retopologizing a mesh surface into nice quads.
- Grid size relative to the surface bounds can be entered in subdivs, real world units or percent.
- Optional square grid constraint.
- Keep original border vertices, or collapse edge vertices between grid cells.
- Spline to poly conversion with island detection, using the “Fill” conversion option.
- AutoUpdate option, for instant recalculation after making changes.
- Preview Grid in the viewport helps choosing the subdivs.
- Non destructive operation using the modifier stack.
- Standard 3ds Max geometry, no compatibility issues!
- It’s free!